Generic Name: Cefadroxil Trademarks: Ancefa, Cefat, Drovax / Drovax Forte, Droxal, Droxefa, Erphadrox, Grafacef, Lapicef, Lostacef, Maxcef-500 / Maxcef-125 / Maxcef-250, Netfad, Droxefa, Erphadrox, Grafacef, Lapicef, Lostacef, Maxcef-500 / Maxcef-125 / Maxcef-250, Netfad, Oprofef / Opicef Forte, Pyrex Roksicap, Staforin, Tisacef, Trodoxil / Trodoxil Forte, Valos, Vocefa / Vocefa Forte, Vroxil, Yaricef, Alxil, Bidicef, Biodroxil, Cefadroxil Hexpharm, Cefadroxil Indo Farma, Cefadroxffffffffff, Dfcfxf Osadrox, Puspadroxile, Q Cef, Qidrox / Qidrox Forte, Sedrofen and Widrox.
What is the drug Cefadroxil 500 mg for?
Cefadroxil is an antibiotic drug to treat various bacterial infections such as:
- Bacterial infections of the lungs and airways (including the nasal, sinus, and throat) such as sinusitis, brochitis, and pneumonia.
- Bacterial infections of the ear, nose, or throat, such as otitis media, pharyngitis, and tongsilitis.
- Skin or soft tissue infections, such as abscesses, cellulitis, mastitis, erysipelas.
- Bacterial infections of the kidneys such as pyelonephritis.
- Bacterial infection of the urinary tract.
- Gynecological infections.
- Bone bacterial infections such as osteomyelitis.
- Joint bacterial infections such as septic arthritis.
Not only that, cefadroxil is a drug that is usually used before dental procedures in patients with artificial heart valves to prevent serious infections of the heart lining ( bacterial endocarditis ).
Cefadroxil is a cephalosporin antibiotic. Cefadroxil is a drug that works by stopping bacterial growth. Cefadroxil antibiotics only treat bacterial infections and cannot be used for viral infections such as common cold or flu. Excessive or unnecessary use of cefadroxil antibiotics will reduce its effectiveness and build immunity to the antibiotic. So, use cefdroxil antibiotics only by doctor's advice.
How does the drug Cefadroxil 500 mg work?
Cefadroxil is a drug that works by inhibiting the formation of proteins that form bacterial cell walls. This drug will damage the bonds that hold the bacterial cell wall to kill bacteria that cause disease. The mechanism of action makes cefadroxil a drug that has a broad spectrum to kill various kinds of bacteria, both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
Cefadraxil medication taken orally. To make sure the bacteria that causes the infection is susceptible to this drug, your doctor may take blood, urine, or tissue samples from your throat or skin.
What are the rules for taking the drug Cefadroxil 500 mg?
Cefadroxil is a strong drug that must be prescribed by a doctor. Therefore, always follow the rules given by your doctor or pharmacist before starting taking cefadroxil antibiotics. Always read the drug guidelines listed on the packaging label or the Patient Information Brochure provided by the pharmacy, if any, before you get this medicine or every time you buy it again. If you have questions, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
In general, some rules that you should know before taking cefadroxil antibiotics are:
- Cefadroxil is a medication that is taken by mouth, usually once or twice a day, or as prescribed by the doctor.
- You can take this medicine together while eating or after eating. Drink plenty of fluids when using this medicine if the doctor does not say otherwise.
- Cefadroxil is the drug that works best when the amount in your body stays at the same level. Therefore, always make sure the time between consuming one dose of drug with the next dose is the same. In order not to forget, you can take this medicine at the same time to optimize treatment.
- Do not grind, chew, or cut the drug into pieces unless the doctor recommends it.
- The dosage and duration of treatment will depend on the medical condition and response to treatment.
- Do not double the dose of this medicine if you are late or forgetful to take it because it can trigger disturbances in the body.
- If you forget to take this medicine, take it immediately if the distance from the next consumption is not too close. However, if the next consumption distance is near, ignore and do not double the dose of this drug.
- Continue treatment until the medication runs out even though the symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping treatment too quickly allows the bacteria to continue to grow, resulting in re-emergence of the infection.
- Tell your doctor if your condition has not changed, is getting worse, or if you experience new symptoms. If you feel you might have a serious medical problem, get medical help immediately.
How is the storage of the drug Cefadroxil 500 mg?
For this drug to work optimally, you must first understand its storage rules. Here are some guidelines for storing cefadroxil antibiotics that you should know about:
- This drug is best stored at room temperature, away from direct light and damp places.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom.
- Do not store this medicine in the freezer or freeze.
- Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not flush medicine in the toilet or in the sewer unless instructed.
- Discard this product when it has expired or if it is no longer needed.
If necessary, consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company about how to safely dispose of your product. Not all drugs have the same storage method as this drug. Other brands of this drug may have different storage rules.
What is the dose of the drug Cefadroxil for adults?
For skin infections, pharyngitis due to streptococcus, tonsillitis, and urinary tract infections
- 1-2 grams per day in one dose or divided into two doses
What is the dose of the drug Cefadroxil for children?
For skin infections, pharyngitis due to streptococcus, tonsillitis, and urinary tract infections in children aged 6 years or older weighing <40 kg
- 30-50 mg / kg per day in one dose or divided into two doses, can be given up to a maximum of 100 mg / kg per day
At what dose is the drug Cefadroxil available?
At pharmacies, the drug cefadroxil is available in tablet form for adults and syrup for children. Each of them has a composition on a tablet of cefadroxil 500 mg and cefadroxil 1 gram. As for cefadroxil syrup is available in cefadroxil 125 mg for every 5 ml
What side effects can be experienced due to the drug Cefadroxil 500mg?
Cefadroxil a drug that can give side effects. Even so, these side effects are generally mild, such as:
- Allergic reaction
- Nausea, vomiting, stomach ache, mild diarrhea
- Stiff muscles
- Joint pain
- Feeling restless or hyperactive
- Unusual or unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Mild itching or skin rashes
- Itching in the vagina or discharge from the vagina
Contact your doctor immediately if you experience side effects of cefadroxil antibiotics that are classified as serious, such as:
- Diarrhea in the form of fluid or blood
- Fever, chills, pain, flu symptoms
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Pale or yellowed skin, dark urine, fever, confusion or fatigue
- Jaundice (yellowing skin and eyes)
- Fever, swollen glands, rashes and itching, joint pain, or general feeling of pain
- Fever, sore throat, and headache with blisters on the skin, peeling, red rashes
- Increased thirst, loss of appetite, swelling, weight gain, difficulty breathing, less or less normal urination
Not everyone experiences the above side effects. There may be some side effects not mentioned above. If you have concerns about certain side effects, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Prevention & Warnings
What should be known before using the drug Cefadroxil 500 mg?
Do not use this drug if you are allergic to cefadroxil antibiotics or to other cephalosporin antibiotics such as:
- Cefaclor (Raniclor)
- Cefazolin (Ancef)
- Cefdinir (Omnicef)
- Cefditoren (Spectracef)
- Cefpodoxime (Vantin)
- Cefprozil (Cefzil)
- Ceftibuten (Cedax)
- Cefuroxime (Ceftin)
- Cephalexin (Keflex)
- Cephradine (Velosef); and others
Before using this medicine tell your doctor if you have an allergy to any medication (especially penicillin), or if you have:
- Kidney illness
- History of intestinal problems, such as colitis
If you have the above conditions, you must adjust the dose or perform special tests to take this drug safely.
This drug contains sucrose suspension. Discuss with your doctor before using this drug in suspension if you have diabetes.
Is Cefadroxil 500 mg safe for pregnant and lactating women?
Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other drugs may be safe to use in pregnancy or breastfeeding because the benefits to the mother and baby outweigh the risks.
There is no adequate research on whether cefadroxil antibiotics are safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Always consult your doctor to consider the potential benefits and risks before using this medicine. This drug is included in the risk of pregnancy category B (not at risk in some studies) according to the US Food and Drugs Administration (FDA).
The following are references to pregnancy risk categories according to the FDA:
- A = No risk
- B = No risk in several studies
- C = Maybe risky
- D = There is positive evidence of risk
- X = Contraindications
- N = Unknown
However, based on existing studies, the use of antibiotics cefadroxil in trimester 3 pregnancy does not cause a bad effect on pregnancy. Even so, experts agree to avoid using this drug during the first trimester of pregnancy. Seek medical advice from your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant.
While in nursing mothers, this drug can enter breast milk. However, these effects do not affect your baby if you take these drugs according to the dosage and rules recommended by your doctor. Seek medical advice from your doctor before taking this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
In essence, do not forget to always consult a doctor first before taking cefadroxil antibiotics if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or even breastfeeding.
What medicines might interact with the drug Cefadroxil 500 mg?
Although certain drugs are not recommended for use together, in other cases two different drugs can be used together although drug interactions may occur. In cases like this, your doctor may change the dosage, or other precautions that need to be taken. Notify your health care provider if you use other prescription or non-prescription drugs.
It should be understood that several types of drugs can interact with this antibiotic in two ways, namely:
- This drug inhibits the way other drugs work
- Other drugs that actually inhibit the way this drug works
The use of this drug with the drugs attached below is generally not recommended, but may be needed in some cases. If the two drugs are prescribed together, your doctor may change the dosage or how often one drug is used.
Can food or alcohol interact with Cefadroxil 500 mg drugs?
Certain medicines should not be used when eating or when eating certain foods because drug interactions can occur. Consuming alcohol or tobacco with certain drugs can also cause interactions to occur. Discuss your use of drugs with food, alcohol, or tobacco with your health care provider.
What health conditions can interact with this drug?
Other health problems can affect the use of this drug. Let your doctor know if you have other health problems, specifically:
- History of colitis (inflammation of the intestine)
- History of severe diarrhea
- Kidney illness
What should I do in an emergency or overdose?
If you develop symptoms of an overdose like the symptoms of excessive side effects, seek medical help immediately. In case of emergency or overdose, contact your local emergency services provider (118/119) or immediately to the nearest hospital emergency department.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you forget one dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. But when it is nearing the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to the usual dosage schedule. In essence you are not recommended to double the dose if you forget to take this medicine.
Drug Information Handbook. Page 361
US National Library of Medicine. 2016. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682730.html Accessed January 9th, 2016
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1756-384/cefadroxil-oral/cefadroxil-oral/details accessed date March 12th, 2018
Reviewed: April 16, 2018 | Last Edited: April 16, 2018